Saturday, July 14, 2012

How Disney Recognizes their Cast Members: Guest Service Fanatic, Certificates and More!

Walt Disney World is known for its amazing Cast Members that bring magic to life each and every day. It takes a lot of talent and encouragement to create of team of dedicated passionate individuals like the Cast Members at Walt Disney World. There’s weeks to months of vigorous training, the responsibility of recruiting those perfect personalities and of course, recognizing and appreciating those individuals for keeping Walt Disney’s alive and thriving.

I was always very impressed with how good the Disney Company was at recognizing its staff for doing a great job. Each area was a little different, so I can only speak for my own past role as a Guest Relations hostess at the Magic Kingdom. One consistent form of recognition was the Great Service Fanatic cards. These little purple cards were located in all areas of the parks. They could be filled out by guests or fellow Cast Members to recognize someone for going above and beyond. The cards had a carbon paper sheet so the top portion could be kept my the Cast Member and the bottom portion was handed in to have a notation kept on the Cast Member’s file but also to be used in drawings for prizes. I personally had won movie tickets, passes to Cirque de Soleil and Cast Member exclusive pins.

There were also personalized note cards within your area. For instance, if a Magic Kingdom Guest Relations Cast Member wanted to recognize another Cast Member on their team, they could fill out a thank you note. This note was then posted on a recognition wall for all the Cast to see and then eventually used in a drawing at the end of each month. You could also receive special recognition from your Area Director on personalized stationary for that individual.


In my particular area, Guest Relations hosts and hostesses would receive their gold “D” pin after they had successfully completed several weeks of training. This pin would be presented in a special ceremony backstage and included a special certificate signed by that Cast Member’s favorite Disney Characters. (Seen at the top of this post)

1 comment:

  1. Hello :)
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I found it while searching about Great Fanatic Service for a Marketing college work and I loved what you wrote. I'm a writer on the blog www.sayanaguedes.com and I would love to make you an interview about the prospect of a Disney employee. I am a communication sciences student, I'm 20 years old and the passion for writing leads me to give voice to as special witnesses like this. If you are interested, I ask you to send me an email to sayanaguedes@gmail.com to talk about that.

    Ana Guedes

    ReplyDelete