Sunday, June 3, 2012

Typhoon Lagoon and Singapore Sal's...it's all in the details


It’s hard for me to believe that Disney's Typhoon Lagoon opened in 1989. Sure, I can remember going there as a child on family trips and being deathly afraid of the Humunga Kowabunga but also super proud that I could go as far into the huge wave pool as my older brother. Even so, going there nowadays the water park seems just as fresh and exciting as the new Fantasyland area in the Magic Kingdom! How does Disney accomplish this?

Well, Disney is all about transporting you somewhere, leaving today to enter a world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy. One of the biggest ways Disney accomplishes this is in the details. Typhoon Lagoon is a fantastic example of that concept: you can see the aquatic props and island locals represented all around the park, the theme music including surfer tunes and Beach Boys ballads can be heard on every storm slide and every corner of Castaway Creek, and even the merchandise that is sold there is chosen specifically because of its tie to the beachy theme!

I think this is why Singapore Sals  holds a special place in my heart. The outside theming is great with the straw roof covered in typhoon blown away surf boards and rafts so it ties in with the overall theme of the park, but it also has a modern surf shop appearance from the outside which to me is so very Florida (perhaps I’ve been to Ron Jons too many times). I love looking through all the beach towels and beach bags they have in the shop, there’s something new every time I go. But my favorite display holds the jewelry. They have such a great variety of beach-themed necklaces and bracelets including the traditional pooka shells and leather tribal bands. I don’t think there’s been a trip yet where I haven’t stopped into Sal’s to purchase something!

No comments:

Post a Comment